Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Best face forward

It seems since puberty hit me like a ton of bricks as a teen-ager, I’ve been on the hunt for a way to clean my face without over-drying. I have SUPER sensitive skin and it’s difficult to find products that don’t leave my face feeling like I’m wearing a mask after using them. I've been a fan of Witch Hazel for years, but I still needed moisture as well. I also can’t use fragrances on my face without MAJOR reactions; so do you see my dilemma?

I began using CASTILE SOAP a few months ago for various “green-cleaning” around my house (mainly laundry soap and pre-treating stains) and now I’ve created something that I NEVER want to be without. Face cleaning/make-up remover wipes! My 16 year-old daughter uses them and she LOVES them as well. Her skin is a bit oilier than mine so I’ve tweaked the recipe a little for her and now she barely has to use the topical antibiotic the doctor prescribed for acne! These worked so well for her, she even recommended them to a friend and she loves them as well.

I figured, now that I’ve given them a decent amount of “testing”, I can pass this on. The ingredients are natural, inexpensive and easy to find.

You will need:
-1/2 TBS Castile Soap
-1 or 2 TBS Witch hazel
-a capful of Tea tree oil
-a couple of drops of Vitamin E oil or Burt’s Bees Mama Bee oil
-Water
-Plain Cotton pads
-Small plastic container

Add the first 4 ingredients together in the plastic container.
Add a stack of cotton pads to mixture until all liquid is absorbed (about 25 to 35 pads)
Flip the moist stack over, replace into container then add about 2 TBS of water.
That’s it! They are ready to use.
Another benefit is you don’t HAVE to rinse with water after using; you can just pat your face dry. If your skin is prone to be a bit oilier, I would suggest using little to no Vitamin E oil.

5 comments:

  1. I tried these and there is no where enough liquid. I only used 17 cotton pads, instead of your recommended 20-30 and less than half of them absorbed the solution, I flipped them over and added the water, but those only have water now and the other side of them (the top 5 maybe) have the concentrated solution. I love the idea, but this recipe simply does not work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melissa,
    Sometimes depending on the cotton pad type it may absorb more. Try adding more witch hazel and a few more drops of tea tree oil, that should work. Thanks for your feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I saw this on Pinterest and would love to try your recipe! However, I was wondering how you adjusted the recipe for your daughter who has more oily skin?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! I just found this on Pinterest and I have to say thank you! This is the first diy face cleanser I've tried and I coukdnt be happier. If anyone is looking for a container, I found 4oz Ball brand containers with plastic lids (with the mason jars) at Target. They are the perfect size for cotton pads and liquid and you can shake it up without worrying about it leaking. Thank you again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make my own pads with pieces of flannel. They are put into a mesh bag after use and then when the mesh bag is full, I just zip it up and throw it in the wash. This is a wonderful recipe. I gave it to a friend for her son and she was so appreciative.

    ReplyDelete